The Importance of Moving Throughout the Workday
At LifeSpan we want our customers to feel good about life and themselves. Being a part of the fitness industry for over a decade has taught us a lot. One of the biggest things we strive to help people with is sedentary lifestyles–most people spend an astonishing 11 hours a day sitting! LifeSpan has been the market leader for over two years helping people change this part of their lifestyle, with the Active Workstation.
The American Heart Association recommends walking 10,000 steps per day to combat a sedentary lifestyle. By increasing your activity to this level, research shows a reduction in heart attacks by 90%, stroke by 70%, diabetes by 50%, between 30%-70% for cancer–and the list of statistics continues. We all know moving more is good for us, but when do we have time? This is exactly why we created the Treadmill Desk. It makes it possible for you to walk and still complete all your daily duties, such as emailing, taking calls, editing documents, any online searching and more.
James A. Levine, M.D., Ph.D, of the Mayo Clinic is the biggest supporter of the Treadmill Desk. These are some of his tips to get moving throughout the day:
- Sit less and move more overall. Start simply by standing rather than sitting whenever you have the chance.
- Stand while talking on the phone or eating lunch.
- If you work at a desk for long periods of time, try a standing desk.
- Think about ways to walk while you work such as walking laps with colleagues during a meeting.
- Position your work surface above a treadmill—so that you can be in motion throughout the day.
We have seen firsthand the damages that can be done with sitting all day. Take the steps to improve your life today! Do you want to know how much you sit all day? The Sitting Time Calculator will help you see how much you sit each day. After you see your results, come see us and decide which Active Workstation is best for you!
Share this story:
- Personal Trainer Spotlight: Casey Zack
- Gym Source Partners with Disabled American Veterans
- Personal Trainer Spotlight: Jim Young
- Connected Fitness: What is it and how do I get plugged in?
- How to Design a Home Gym
- Personal Trainer Spotlight: Brent Pendleton
- Tried and TRUE Race Training Tips
- Personal Trainer Spotlight: Erin Connor
- Cardio Training
- Circuit Training
- Commercial Fitness
- Dumbbell Rack
- Elliptical Trainers
- Endurance Training
- Featured Employee
- Featured Fitness Products
- FIT Fact
- Fitness Accessories
- Fitness Facts and Tips
- Fitness Gifts
- Fitness Industry News
- Fitness Tips
- Fitness Trends
- Guest Blog
- Gym Source News
- Health and Wellness
- Home Fitness
- Home Gyms
- Indoor Cycle Bikes
- Spotlight Install
- Stationary Bikes
- Strength Training
- Strength Training Equipment
- Trainer Spotlight
- Vibration Training
- Weight Lifting
- Weight Loss/Weight Management