End of Year Clearance - click for storewide savings

Posted Oct 26, 2013 by Gym Source in Nutrition and tagged 80 20, healthy lifestyle, Nutrition.

The 80/20 Rule of Better Nutrition

If you need to lose weight, chances are you’re not only considering exercise—but also which diet to try. But depending on your goals, the best way to lose weight might be simply to focus on a balanced diet. Eat healthy whole foods, with lots of raw fruits and veggies; get just enough protein; and avoid too many processed carbohydrates and unhealthy fats.

Nutritionists call this the “80/20” lifestyle. Essentially, an 80/20 lifestyle means focusing on eating the right amount of healthy food 80% of the time, and indulge the other 20%. So, if you normally eat three meals a day, you can “cheat” three times a week. If you follow the increasingly popular regime of eating smaller meals more frequently (say five times a day), then you can indulge about seven times a week.

Bay Area athlete and lifestyle blogger Krista Stryker, sums up the 80/20 benefits this way: “In life and nutrition, it’s all about finding a balance. Because as much as you know that proper nutrition will get you the body you want, boost your performance and allow you to live a long, healthy, active life, you also want to be able to just live. And the 80/20 principle allows you to do that.”

This doesn’t mean that you should go out of your way to gorge 20% of the time. But it does mean that you can eat out with friends and savor your favorite foods without feeling guilty and remorseful. It means you can accept a slice of birthday cake, a glass of champagne, or that yummy dessert you’ve been yearning for. An 80/20 approach can help you slim down and feel good—and stick with a healthier lifestyle.

Share this story:

Recent Posts

2018 Holiday Gift Guide

December 5th, 2018

2018 Holiday Gift Guide

The best gift ideas for active people. From stocking stuffers, to first time fitness shoppers, to more advanced fitness enthusiasts – our equipment experts share their favorite fitness…

Build Your Home Gym

November 15th, 2018

How to Diversify Your Treadmill Workouts

Treadmills remain a widely used piece of equipment both in homes and in commercial gyms, but treadmill workouts are often thought of as monotonous. Why? We tapped our equipment experts for…

Oct2018_trainer-spotlight

October 1st, 2018

Personal Trainer Spotlight: Rob Gasko & Allen Meretsky

Personal Trainer Spotlight: Rob Gasko & Allen Meretsky Area Servicing: Central Monmouth County, NJ Experience: Rob Gasko is an NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Certified Functional with…

Right_vs_Wrong_WebGraphic

September 26th, 2018

How to Avoid Common Workout Mistakes

Stop working out wrong. Quality fitness equipment is an investment and Gym Source wants to ensure you get the most from it AND your workouts. To help, we enlisted one of Gym Source’s VIP…

Categories