4 Stats that Prove the Payoff of Endurance Running
Did you see the article in the Wall Street Journal about gait analysis—and how endurance running is one of the single best things you can do to stay fit for life? When you run with a proper gait, endurance running can prolong your life, postpone disability and keep your joints and bones healthy.
Injuries have always been a concern for runners. Serious runners have about a 50% chance of sustaining an injury that interferes with training. And the chances of injury are even higher for marathon runners, up to 90%.
Many experts agree that it isn’t running itself that’s creating an injury, it’s the way people run. Many runners land at awkward angles or extend their stride too far. Gait analysis seeks to identify the root of an injury and involves videotaping a running session on a treadmill. After examining the tape and identifying potential problems, patients are advised how to adjust their gait to help avoid injury. Gait analysis is becoming increasing popular and runners are embracing this idea that running correctly helps them stay pain-free.
James Fries, an emeritus professor of immunology and rheumatology at Stanford University, co-wrote the study debunking the links between running and debilitating injuries in a 2008 report published in Archives of Internal Medicine.
He calls running “the greatest intervention to postpone aging that’s ever been reported.” The study found these impressive results.
- Distance runners’ joints and bones are actually healthier than average.
- Runners are actually significantly less likely to experience arthritis or require a major joint replacement than people who don’t.
- Distance running postponed disability by 16 years.
- Distance running postponed death by seven to nine years.
To tap into the proven health benefits of endurance running year-round, come to Gym Source. We’ve got treadmills from all the top brands—like TRUE, Cybex and Bodyguard—and our fitness experts can help select the right treadmill for you.
Share this story:
- Top Myths in Home Gym Design
- Personal Trainer Spotlight: Brian Lederman
- NEW & NOTABLE IN SPECIALITY FITNESS; MEET THE MAX TRAINER
- Tips to Transition into Fall Fitness Routines
- Personal Trainer Spotlight: John and Kristin Moore
- Make Exercise Relevant: Functional Fitness
- Gym Source Gives Back to Disabled American Veterans
- Personal Trainer Spotlight: D'Lynne St.Pierre
- Cardio Training
- Circuit Training
- Commercial Fitness
- Dumbbell Rack
- Elliptical Trainers
- Endurance Training
- Featured Employee
- Featured Fitness Products
- FIT Fact
- Fitness Accessories
- Fitness Facts and Tips
- Fitness Gifts
- Fitness Industry News
- Fitness Tips
- Fitness Trends
- Guest Blog
- Gym Source News
- Health and Wellness
- Home Fitness
- Home Gyms
- Indoor Cycle Bikes
- Spotlight Install
- Stationary Bikes
- Strength Training
- Strength Training Equipment
- Trainer Spotlight
- Vibration Training
- Weight Lifting
- Weight Loss/Weight Management